Picture taken by the lovely Janel Johnson at Janel Johnson Photography

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Miss Whitley - Part 2

So it was time..........it was 4/5/13 and Raymond and I were off to the hospital at 7am. We dropped Joe off at our Kathy's and it hit me this is the last time I will only have one child to drop off at daycare! We got to the hospital and the weather was so nice. It was kind of a crisp morning, no wind, and spring was in the air. We were walking into the building and I caught a glimspe of my walking full body profile in the glass window. Sweet Jesus I was huge and waddling! I couldn't wait to get Whitley out and see her and be able to take a big deep breath again! We checked in and went back to the get ready for the procedure. I put one of those hot gowns on and my husband was drooling all over me.........just kidding he was actually drooling all over the sandwich and snack my nurse got him. She wanted to make sure he wasn't hungry and had a full tummy before all the events. Seriously......? Who cares about him! Plus I wasn't allowed to eat breakfast so I had to lay there (uncomfortably) and watch him eat! Then he had the nerve to whin about the hospital ham sandwich. The nurse was quite concerned with Raymond comfort level I noticed - it was like, "hey lady - over here, fat chic about to give birth......" Ha! My Dr. came in to check on me and make sure I was ready. It was a waiting game after that. I had to wait for a mom that was having twins to get out of the OR, but I was in there at 10am like planned. I waddled on down to the OR with a different nurse. It was creepy walking in there........it was cold and everyone was standing there staring at me gowned, masked, and gloved. I had to go over to the middle of the room where a table was with a light beaming down just like in the movies. Then I had to get up on it practically NAKED well everyone in the room watched! And of course the nurse anesthetist was a very attractive young man and so was the anestheiologist......awesome....... They numbed me up and got me all ready. I was laying there and a lady approached me and apparently knew who I was. She was so friendly and excited about the baby. Honestly, it took me a minute to register who I was talking too ( I was flying a bit high at the moment ) and it was Joe's former Ped Dr.'s FNP, Deb. She was going to check Whitley when she came out. It was so reassuring and wonderful to see her! When Joe turned 2 they passed him off to a regular Ped Dr. as they specialized in neonates (babies). That was a sad day for me because I loved Dr. Benn, Deb (his FNP), and his nurse. We love our new Ped Dr. though too! I asked her if Dr. Benn was there and told her to tell him to pop in and say "hi". I also sort of jokingly told her that I did NOT want to see him in the NICU! Naturally she understood that! In came my husband who looked extremely nervous and out of sorts. He took a seat behind my head - like an awkwardly long distance from me and looked scared to death. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him and it kind of hurt my feelings he was sitting so far away. Then he mentioned being very terrified of seeing my inners. It's like "Raymond they aren't going to take my guts out and set them on the table for God's sake!" He was truly afraid that he might see something and it will cause him to faint! The procedure went fast and I tell you what my nurse anesthetist was awesome. He told me exactly what was happening the whole time and kept asking me if I was feeling okay. Then he made small talk with Raymond to ease his nerves. All I remember is his name was John.......John where ever you are you should know how fantastic at your job you are! For the most part I did well. Except I was scratching my face off and felt like vomiting the whole time, but when you are flying high that really doesn't bother you too much. I have never itched like that in my life. I was practically scratching my face off - like seriously! It was so weird. I guess I had a reacation to the anesthesia. They gave me medicine to help the nausea. It worked for the time being. Then it happened, I heard my Dr. say, "Jenn she has soooo much hair oh my goodness! What a chunk!" and then......a baby crying. That crying was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in my life. It nearly brought me to tears. Whitley was breathing. It was so amazing. A baby that can breathe - I refused to take that very moment for granted. The look of worry was gone from Raymond's face and a look I have never seen him have before was there. He looked so happy, proud, and in love. The pictures we have even captured that moment of him so well. It was so happy and so exciting. My Dr. held her up over the protective screen so I could catch a glimpse of her before they cut the cord. I will never forget that glimpse. A had that beautiful healthy baby I prayed and begged God for. I was so grateful! They took her over the heated table and Raymond went over there to be with her. I didn't know this at the time because Raymond told me later, but she was needing quite a bit of help with oxygen. I remember wondering why it was so quiet and why it was taking awhile for them to bring her over to me, but brushed it off that time was moving slow because I was so excited. I remember them saying something kind of casual to me like, "She is just needing a little help with her O2 but she is doing great Jenn." Which I think she was, but Deb the FNP went the extra mile to stay with her and watch her. Raymond confirmed later to me that they wanted to make sure Whitley was fine and didn't have to spend anytime in the NICU on a monitor. I think that would of been kind of traumatic for me to see her on a monitor, so I am glad I didn't have too. They let Raymond bring her over to me once her O2 got straightened out and I just remember wanting to touch her so bad and be close to her but Raymond was hogging her! He would like bring her over to my crazy drug induced scratched off face for a few seconds and then pull her back to him. The nurse sensed my desire to be close to my daughter so she took her from Raymond and put her cheek against mine. I can still feel that moment today in my mind. It was amazing. After that we got some family pics and Raymond went off to the nursery with his new baby girl and Deb the FNP. They got me all fixed up and took me to the recovery room. Part 3 soon to come.........................
Whitley Don Brunson Born on 4/5/13 at 10:47am Mountain Time 7lbs 12ounces and 18.5 inches long And BEAUTIFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment